I got the polka dot diapers from Target and the colors were perfect for a boy. I used polka dots for the theme of the diaper cake and for my also first exploding box. I used two packs of the size 2 diapers and for the inside of the "cake" is a bottle of sparkling Apple Cider and one paper towel tube cut down to add the last top layer. The one thing that was a challenge for me was finding ribbon. All the ribbon I could find was too narrow. I actually went to four stores to find the right ribbon. I knew Michael's would have it but not that close to me anymore, but they had polka dots and a baby boy wide ribbon. I was happy with it.
I got some curly ribbon from the dollar store for the bottom of the cake. I can't take credit for the idea. I would have done lace but glad I didn't. I think this looks a lot better. I got the idea from someone on the cricut message board. I finished to top off with an exploding box. This was my first one and I had a bit of a time with it.
I haven't used my Imagine a whole lot but when I thought I was finished I knew I needed something else. So I went to Nursery Tails and printed two images It's a boy scallop circle and the pretty dear. I printed two of each image for the front and back and glued to a lolly pop stick. I had to flip the dear image so it would match front to back.
I carried the polka dot theme into the exploding box. I used two people's directions one from Scorpal and one from another site. Sorry I can't remember the ladies site name. I used poster board for the frame of the box. I didn't have any heavy card stock and someone recommend to use that. I painted the box brown. The elephant on the top was a pre cut die I purchased when I first started scrappbooking. I embossed the elephant with the circle embossing plate from cuttlebug. The elephant was light blue but I inked it with blue and brown ink. Then I glazed it.
Out of the tons of paper I have I didn't have any really cute baby paper. I ran to Walmart the day before the gift was due but couldn't find anything I was pleased with. So I just used what I had. I was pleased with how it turned out. I have two little tags for notes and used some baby stickers to keep with the baby boy theme.
I added a cute little stuffed frog holding the exploding box. I used two more images from Nursery Tails for two sides of the box top. The imagine really came through for me on this project when I needed something quick to add the final little touches and I didn't have to find paper etc to finish the look.
Thanks for looking!!