Gallery

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My First Diaper Cake

I've only seen one diaper cake in person and that was at my own baby shower almost 10 years ago.  They are so nice and creative I don't know why I haven't seen more of them.  But anyway my cousin is having her first baby and her shower was on Saturday.  I wanted to make something special for her and I thought of the diaper cake.  Funny thing is her dad and my dad are twin brothers.  And she picked the same name for her son as for mine.  Spelled differently.  Mine is spelled Jaden, and her's is spelled Jai'din.  funny I think the twins brothers from out of 10 kids with boys named the same. 

I got the polka dot diapers from Target and the colors were perfect for a boy.  I used polka dots for the theme of the diaper cake and for my also first exploding box.  I used two packs of the size 2 diapers and for the inside of the "cake" is  a bottle of sparkling Apple Cider and one paper towel tube cut down to add the last top layer.  The one thing that was a challenge for me was finding ribbon.  All the ribbon I could find was too narrow.  I actually went to four stores to find the right ribbon.  I knew Michael's would have it but not that close to me anymore, but they had polka dots and a baby boy wide ribbon.  I was happy with it.  



I got some curly ribbon from the dollar store for the bottom of the cake. I can't take credit for the idea. I would have done lace but glad I didn't. I think this looks a lot better. I got the idea from someone on the cricut message board. I finished to top off with an exploding box. This was my first one and I had a bit of a time with it.
I haven't used my Imagine a whole lot but when I thought I was finished I knew I needed something else.  So I went to Nursery Tails and printed two images It's a boy scallop circle and the pretty dear.  I printed two of each image for the front and back and glued to a lolly pop stick. I had to flip the dear image so it would match front to back.

 I carried the polka dot theme into the exploding box. I used two people's directions one from Scorpal and one from another site. Sorry I can't remember the ladies site name.  I used poster board for the frame of the box.  I didn't have any heavy card stock and someone recommend to use that.   I painted the box brown.  The elephant on the top was a pre cut die  I purchased when I first started scrappbooking.  I embossed the elephant with the circle embossing plate from cuttlebug.  The elephant was light blue but I inked it with blue and brown  ink. Then I glazed it.

 Out of the tons of paper I have I didn't have any really cute baby paper.  I ran to Walmart the day before the gift was due but couldn't find anything I was pleased with.  So I just used what I had.  I was pleased with how it turned out. I have two little tags for notes and used some baby stickers to keep with the baby boy theme.


 
 I added a cute little stuffed frog holding the exploding box.  I used two more images from Nursery Tails for two sides of the box top.  The imagine really came through for me on this project when I needed something quick to add the final little touches and I didn't have to find paper etc to finish the look.
Thanks for looking!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment